We support CUNY students up to the challenge to join this exciting new community of New York City astronomers.
Eligible students may apply now! Deadline: Oct 15, 2018.
- Involves you in real astrophysics research right now
- Introduces you to this exciting field and the people at its frontier – your new peers
- Matches you with a long-term career mentor, and research mentor(s)
- Trains you thoroughly in all aspects of the job
- Organizes intense summer research experiences to propel you towards your career
- Provides fellowships covering the academic year (if qualified)
- Provides summer research fellowships
- Provides a personal research laptop (if qualified)
- Supports travel to observatories and conferences around the world
- Provides a monthly Metrocard
- Provides junior membership in the American Astronomical Society
We have years of experience mentoring undergraduates in research on galaxy properties and evolution, nearby and low mass stars, evolved stars, numerical simulations and modeling, and observational astronomy from the radio to gamma-rays.
Students should be enrolled in a CUNY 2-yr or 4-yr college, and have an interest in pursuing a career in physics and astronomy as evidenced by their application essays, and choice of courses and major. Students from groups underrepresented in the sciences – e.g., African Americans, Hispanics – are particularly encouraged to apply.
APPLICATION deadline: Oct 15, 2018.
AstroCom NYC is supported by an National Science Foundation Partnerships in Astronomy and Astrophysics Research and Education grant. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.